Initial and continuing training, everything you need to know

During your studies, it’s important to choose a training program that matches your aspirations. In recent years, this has been made difficult by the diversity of training programs currently on offer. Your type of training is also important in this decision. To help you, our guide provides an overview of the differences between initial and continuing training. Discover the difference!

Ongoing training

Continuing education is a great program for employees and job seekers. In some cases, it is aimed at people who already have professional qualifications to enhance their performance. You can access the Continuing Education program in a number of ways, depending on your objectives.

The different formulas

Here are the different formulas available to simplify access to continuing education;

  • Individual training leave

The CIF is a formula that gives you the opportunity to follow an alternative training course under certain conditions. It should be noted that this leave is requested by employees and that the training may not be related to the position they hold.

  • Skills assessment leave

This is a type of leave to which employees are entitled in order toassess their skills, while continuing to receive their salary.

  • Teaching/research leave

It’s a program that supports workers who want to run an innovative business. It’s ideal for companies of all kinds, and particularly for research-intensive businesses.

Initial training

By enrolling in an initial training program, individuals can be designated as students. The advantage of this type of training is that the individual learner has access to a complete program. This type of program is particularly useful for career paths, as it offers learners constant monitoring and feedback on their progress. The objective of these programs is generally toacquire the basic skills required for a trade or profession by acquiring the fundamentals and developing them over time until mastery develops….

They obtain a diploma or certificate after their initial training has given them access to all the information and skills they need to work in a particular field.

Initial training generally includes the following elements;

This program includes vocational education for high schools. Very useful for young people who want to play an active role in their future. After two years, the learner is expected to have a brevet d’étude professionnelle, also known as a certificat d’aptitude professionnelle. It is this parchment that will give him the opportunity to be hired by a company and practice his trade.

In addition to vocational education, there is also higher education. This option concerns the grandes écoles, and it is under this system that a student can obtain a professional bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree and a master’s degree (DESS).

Let’s not forget that apprenticeships can lead to a CAP. All you have to do is pass a series of theoretical and practical tests.

The same applies to the brevet de technicien supérieur, or DUT, but it’s worth noting that the latter is obtained by opting for a short course. It’s important to remember that in reputable schools, students have the freedom to choose their system.

Why initial training?

The schools have strict enrolment policies and allow trainers to ensure rigorous student follow-up. In addition, initial training enables students to enroll in university internships that can lead to employment. That’s why continuing education in schools must also be considered! What’s more, the initial training is very comprehensive and full of possibilities. What’s more, the quality of the training and the level of the teachers giving the courses are also good.

The differences between continuing education and initial training

From the outset, we need to bear in mind that the targets of these two professionalization systems are different. Continuing education is aimed at jobseekers, entrepreneurs, employees and recent graduates. Most people want to improve their skills so they can find a job. New graduates who are unemployed or looking for their first job will be able to take an initial training course.

There are also significant differences in training costs. Initial training is free, while continuing training is not. Continuing training can be subsidized by: the CEP (Centre d’expertise et de qualification), the FPF (Fédération française des syndicats d’employeurs) or subsidies from Pôle Emploi or the subsidizing companies where employees work.

We can observe the same thing in the duration of training. Continuing education courses, for example, can be spread over several weeks. Usually full-time. Unlike initial training, which benefits from a sandwich system.

It’s important to choose the one that best suits your situation. The nuances between the two are important, and you should take advantage of their benefits by choosing wisely.

Also read: Can an employee also be an independent contractor?

Alix Lebrun

Alix Lebrun

Alix Lebrun est auteur pour le magazine Adises Active, spécialisé dans tous les sujets liés aux affaires, au droit et à l'emploi. Elle est titulaire d'une maîtrise en commerce international et d'une licence en communication. Alix écrit depuis l'âge de 12 ans et a toujours aimé partager ses pensées avec les autres par le biais de l'écriture.